Thursday, May 19, 2016

Surprise Challenge from 2012


Special Thursday challenge
TINTING A B&W PHOTO
I don't know if I have ever mentioned it, but I occasionally do a Seminar on simple photo retouching in PSP.
There are so many retouching tools in PSP and they do a good job - if you have the patience. So here's a challenge for you.
For today, let's take a Black and White photo and tint it. I'm sure you must have some B&W portraits around the place you can scan in to try it. If not, Google Images is a good source.
I got this one from Google...





 

And this is how it ended up - a rush job just to demo (normally if it was a serious job, it would take over an hour)
I used PSP's "makeover" to begin with and also "Change to target" for her lips, dress and hair.
Two secrets...
1. Never work on the actual photo - duplicate the layer and work on the top layer - this way if you really mess up you can delete the layer and start again.
2. Keep your opacity low and build up the color rather than try to take a short cut.
The background of this photo was a very even color so it was relatively easy to select it with the magic wand. Otherwise you'd need to carefully cut it out.
So.... who is willing to have a try???
Fran

No comments:

Post a Comment